CHOOSE YOUR HOLIDAYS

Your destination

Show on map

CHATEAU DE CHILLON

Veytaux-Chillon > Avenue de Chillon 21
The doors of one of Europe's most fascinating castles are open to you. This thousand year old historical monument is located in an exceptional natural setting, on the shores of lake Geneva right at the foot of the mountains. Choose the option that suits you best! Individual or group tours; unaccompanied, guided or with an audioguide. The audio-visual presentation will allow you to go back in history to the times of the Dukes of Savoy. The castle is also available for private functions, such as candlelight banquets, birthday partie and wine-tastings. As a cultural site, Chillon also organises exhibitions, artistic and popular performances, as weel as concerts throughout the year.

Show on map

CATEDRAL DE BRASILIA

Brasília > Esplanada dos Ministérios
This hyperboloid with a diameter of 70 m, obtained by assembling 16 columns of 90 tons each, depicts two hands reaching toward the sky. Its entry is framed underground four giant statues representing the Evangelists, Matthew, Mark and Luke on the left and John on the right. The cathedral was consecrated on 31 May 1970.

Show on map

CHÂTEAU DE MONTROTTIER

Lovagny > ACADEMIE FLORIMONTANE
Medieval château dating from the 14th and 15th C which was the home of great 19th C collector, Léon Marès. The museum contains several collections of furniture, china, lace and rare objects from Africa…

Show on map

Lyon Patrimoine Mondial de l'Unesco

Founded by the Romans in the 1st century B.C. as the capital of the Three Gauls, the city has continued to play a major role in Europe's political, cultural and economic development ever since, and is vividly illustrated by its urban fabric and the many fine historic buildings from all periods.

Show on map

TOUR EIFFEL

Paris > Champ de Mars
The Eiffel Tower's epic history recounted for its hundredth birthday. To celebrate the Tower's hundredth birthday in 1989, a huge fresco retracing its first century of life was created. The 100 individual panels it contains are drawn and captioned in the way newspapers were in Gustave Eiffel's time and are exhibited throughout the monument. One hundred years of historic and scientific events, famous visitors, anecdotes and incredible stories involving the Eiffel Tower are now made public in this journal. The panels are provided by the OTIS Company, whose history remains closely tied to the Eiffel Tower's. The panels are numbered and can be found on the various levels and staircases of the tower. Though they are displayed in treasure hunt style on the tower itself, they are presented in chronological order here for clarity's sake.

Show on map

ABBAYE D'HAUTECOMBE

Saint-Pierre-de-Curtille > 3 700 route de l'abbaye
30 minutes audioguided tour of the church. Rate 3,50€ Shop of theAbbey : free entrance

Show on map

RABY CASTLE

Darlington > Staindrop
One of the largest and most impressive of English medieval castles, Raby Castle, in County Durham, Northumbria, provides a wonderful day out for all the family. Wonder at its towers, turrets, embattled walls, interiors and artworks from the Medieval, Regency and Victorian periods. See the herds of deer roaming the surrounding parkland, enjoy the ornamental gardens, the horse-drawn carriages, relax in the tearooms and be tempted by traditional and unusual gifts & souvenirs in the gift shop.

Show on map

TOUR DE CREST

Crest > HOTEL DE VILLE
Crest tower is the highest keep in France. Besides its historic role, the tower also provides exceptional panoramic views. Allow time to soak up the atmosphere of the tower ; interpretation panels explain the history of the tower.

Show on map

Château de Thorens - Visite

Thorens-Glières > Le Château Allée du Château
The Château de Thorens with its many subtle charms, offers visitors an interesting insight into art and the history of Savoie. The château is still lived in and its owners take great care to preserve the soul of their historic home.

Show on map

Fontaine Le Torrent

Grenoble > Jardin de Ville
Urbain Basset, born in Grenoble in 1842, created the statue « The Torrent » in 1878. On the earthenware jar, we can see all of the astrological figures, except that of Aquarius, represented by the fountain itself. A miniature of the work was bought by the state and handed over to the Museum of Grenoble, where it is displayed today. The fountain version of “The Torrent” was then acquired by the city of Grenoble. Finished in 1882, the fountain was initially placed in Verdun square. It was then moved to the Jardin de Ville park and placed at the heart of the park’s wooded area. Perched atop a small pile of stones, the statue let its water run out of the jar, over the rocks, and into a small pond. Both the fountain and the pond were removed in 1935 and the statue was stored away. Seized in July 1942, the statue was shipped to Germany to be melted down and support the German war effort. Miraculously spared, the statue was returned to Grenoble in 1952 where it was put into storage. It wasn’t until 1985 that the statue was returned to the Jardin de Ville park, for the 100th anniversary of the Grenoble Water Authority. Today, “The Torrent” lets its water flow over a contemporary-style stone base.

Show on map

Fontaine des trois ordres

Grenoble > place Notre-Dame
Originally planned as a tribute to the famous events of the “Day of the Roof Tiles,” the fountain of the three orders finally came to celebrate the centenary of the revolution in the Dauphiné and as such, was not inaugurated until 1897 by the French president Félix Faure. The limestone monument is the work of Henri Ding. Four bronze tritons call out a water song from their horns of plenty, proclaiming the budding values of the new Republic: Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood…and Justice. Three figures crown the fountain, representing the nobility, the clergy, and the Third Estate looking together towards the same radiant future.

Show on map

Site Le Corbusier – site mondial d’architecture moderne du XXème siècle

Firminy > Rue de Saint-Just Malmont
This unique site, which symbolises industrial France and the 'Trente Glorieuses' (a thirty year period of rapid growth in France following the end of the Second World War) brings together several historical buildings. Come and experience the impressive plays of light, the colours, the dimensions, the models, archival documents, Le Corbusier's sculptures and Le Corbusier's tapestries, videos, Guariche furniture, etc. Listen to the story of the great social and urban utopias of the past century, which were the result of a coming together of visionary architects and bold professionals. They shared the belief that architecture could contribute to a better world... La Maison de la culture (cultural centre). Go back to the time of Malraux and Eugène Claudius-Petit, the post war Minister of Reconstruction, who became the mayor of Firminy. Historical archives, exhibition rooms, films, exhibition of Pierre Guariche's furniture designs (a renowned 1950s designer), building marvels, artistic fresco... The Stadium. A unique building for sport by Le Corbusier, along with his stadium in Baghdad. Any similarities or duplications? That's for you to decide. Ask for the book about the Baghdad Gymnasium in the shop! The church. An unexpected world of playing light, colour and dimensions. Extraordinary resonance in the nave. The temporary exhibitions are regularly renewed. The all-important exhibition of artistic works by Le Corbusier. The Firminy-Vert district. Grand Prix for Urban Planning in 1961. A perfect example of the innovative concept of limiting space for cars in favour of the natural world and pedestrian areas. Ask for an audio guide. Design: Le Corbusier, A. Wogenscky, J. Oubrerie

Show on map

CHATEAU BAROQUE DE MANNHEIM

Mannheim > Bismarckstraße
Mannheim Castle, residence of the Prince Elector Palatine, was one of the largest and most modern Baroque castles of the 18th century. Almost completely destroyed during the bombardment of the city during the Second World War, the castle was rebuilt and sheltered from the university. From April 2007 the number of home furniture and precious objects of art are presented in the rooms of the first floor.

Show on map

VILLA EPHRUSSI DE ROTHSCHILD

Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat > 06230 Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Discover the most beautiful French Riviera Palazzo and its nine wonderful gardens. Through the art dealers and experts she befriended, Baroness Ephrussi de Rothschild sought out artworks all over the world, transforming the Villa at Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat into a collector’s paradise. Between sea and sky, overlooking the bay of Villefranche, the nine heavenly gardens are adorned with patios, fountains, ponds, flowered and shaded paths. The Villa is also a place for wedding and receptions organization. Copyrights photo : Pierre BEHAR Balloïde-Photo / C. Recoura

Show on map

Temple d'Auguste et de Livie

Vienne > Place Charles de Gaulle
It was a place of worship constructed around 10BC and dedicated to Rome and Augustus. Built on the sacred area of the forum, its was converted into a church at the beginning of the 5th century. The building was restorated in between 1823 and 1853.

Show on map

CHATEAU DE NEUSCHWANSTEIN

Schwangau > 20 Neuschwansteinstraße
Today Neuschwanstein is one of the most popular of all the palaces and castles in Europe. Every year 1.3 million people visit "the castle of the fairy-tale king". In the summer around 6,000 visitors a day stream through rooms that were intended for a single inhabitant.

Show on map

Château de Menthon-Saint-Bernard

Menthon-Saint-Bernard > Route du Château
Traditional birthplace in 1008 of St Bernard de Menthon, the patron saint of mountain dwellers, who gave his name to the famouse rescue dogs.

Show on map

Fontaine au Lion

Grenoble > place de la Cymaise
The fountain commemorates the beginning of the construction of the right bank quais. The fountain depicts the struggle between a lion, symbolizing the city of Grenoble, which succeeds in taming the “Ysara,” which is French for serpent. In the early 1950s, a limestone portico featuring the city crest was added to enhance the fountain.

Show on map

Eglise du Saint Nom de Jésus

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 91 rue Tête d'Or
Inaugurated in 1863 to be the place of worship for the Dominican convent of the same name, it became the parish church in 1909. It has one of the most beautiful organs in Lyon. It is part of the Brotteaux deanery.

Show on map

CASTLE HOWARD

York >
Castle Howard is one of Britain's finest historic houses and is still home to my family whose forebears conceived, designed, and built it over three centuries ago. In this, the 21st century, the business flourishing on the estate means we are able to preserve, conserve, restore and improve not only the many fine buildings, but also the landscape in which those edifices reside.

Show on map

SKIPTON CASTLE

Over 900 years old, Skipton Castle is one of the most complete and best preserved medieval castles in England and is well worth a visit at any season of the year. Visitors can explore every corner of this impressive history-rich castle, which withstood a three-year siege during the Civil War. View the Banqueting Hall, the Kitchen, the Bedchamber and Privy. Climb from the depths of the Dungeon to the top storey of the Watch Tower.

Show on map

Couvent du Saint Nom de Jésus

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 93 rue Tête d'Or
The convent is in the 19th-c. Italian Neo-Gothic style. It was created in 1860. It proposes conferences and think tanks on contemporary life and religion in the contemporary world in conjunction with Agora-Tête d’Or…

Show on map

SHRINE OF ST JUDE

Faversham > wthitefriards tanners street
The church was originally built as a school for Quaker children and later became the Empire Cinema. The Carmelites who took on the care of the parish in 1926 acquired the site and it has been a church since in 1937. A number of well known and established artists were employed to decorate the Church and later the Shrine which was built in 1955. Since then pilgrims have come here from all over the world to visit and pray at this little shrine to St. Jude. It is not a large building but it has become sacred with the prayers of the many pilgrims who have come here.

Show on map

Le Château de Thomas II et son Marais

Le Bourget-du-Lac > La Croix Verte
Building started on the château in 1248, under the direction of Thomas II de Savoie, Count of Flanders and the Lord of Pièmont from 1244 to 1259. Its ruins can only be visited as part of a guided tour.

Show on map

Fontaine du Berger Cyparisse

Grenoble > place de la Gordes
The fountain is topped with a gracious depiction from Greek mythology-that of the young shepherd Cyparisse, tenderly cradling a suffering young foe.

Show on map

Château de Sonnaz

Thonon-les-Bains > 2 rue Michaud Château de Sonnaz
Château de Sonnaz is in the very heart of Thonon near the town hall with unobstructed views of Lake Geneva, Switzerland and the Jura mountain range. After Thonon’s fortress was dismantled in the 16th century (built by Marie de Bourgogne, wife of Amédée VIII), the ruins were assigned to the Gerbaix de Sonnaz family who built the beautiful Château de Sonnaz on the foundations of the fortress. Sardinian sovereigns often chose to stay here whilst in Chablais. When it became the town of Thonon’s property, it was used for association meetings, then as a court and now houses the Musée du Chablais and its collections as well as Thonon-les-Bains Tourist Office which opened here in October 2008.

Show on map

WENTWORTH CASTLE GARDENS

Stainborough > Lowe Lane
One of the most important historic gardens in the North of England, this hidden gem celebrates its 300th anniversary in 2009. Recently awarded a White Rose Tourism Award for 'Visitor Attraction of the Year (under 50,000 visitors)', by the Yorkshire Tourist Board, the gardens are yours to discover and enjoy…

Show on map

Le Grand Temple

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 3 quai Victor Augagneur
The Grand Temple was built from 1880 to 1884 by the architect Gaspard André (1840-1896), as the Temple du Change was growing too small and to take account of the growth of the city on the left bank of the Rhône. It was dedicated on May 1, 1884.

Show on map

Eglise Notre Dame de Toute Grâce

Passy > 101, rue de l'église
Founded by Canon Devémy for the new sanatorial population, designed by Maurice Novarina and consecrated in 1950, the church of Plateau d'Assy was decorated by the greatest masters of modern art (Bazaine, Bonnard, Bony, Braque, Chagall, Couturier, Hébert-Stevens, Hure, Kijno, Léger, Lipchitz, Lurçat, Mary, Matisse, Richier, Rouault, Signori, Stravinsky etc) under the guidance of the dominican, Father Marie-Alain Couturier.

Show on map

Fresque des Canuts

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > angle bd des Canuts et rue Denfert Rochereau
Painted by the Cité de la Création in 1987, updated in 1997. Renovated until March 19th, 2013. It was also highlighted.

Show on map

Fontaine Le Château d'eau de la Valette

Grenoble > place Grenette
The Lavalette fountain, located in the place Grenette, was was erected under the administration of the marquis de la Valette, mayor of Grenoble and was the forerunner of a canal network linking the city’s fountains. The sculptor Sappey and the smelter Crozatier worked together to create the work, decorated with four cherubs riding four dolphins, the symbol of the Dauphiné. The fountain is built of Sassenage stone.

Show on map

Statue du Christ-Roi

Les Houches > Coupeau
Abbot Claude Marie Delassiat, priest of Les Houches, is the initiator of the construction of this monumental statue realized in one year (1933/1934). His dream: raise a statue that proclaims the universal Monarchy of the Christ. The architect Féveille will oversee the indoorl arrangement of the building. The pose and the blessing of the first stone took place in August, 1933.

Show on map

RIPLEY CASTLE

Ripley Castle and Gardens, situated 3 miles from Harrogate in North Yorkshire, is an historic attraction open to the public all year round and makes for a fascinating and entertaining day out. In a beautiful location, with memorable surroundings, Ripley Castle also makes the perfect setting for any corporate entertaining event whether it be a conference, high profile business meeting or dinner. The setting is stunning, the service is friendly and efficient, and the catering is exceptional. For weddings, Ripley Castle stands apart: it is beautiful, historic and picture postcard perfect.

Show on map

Le Temple de Diane

Aix-les-Bains > Place Maurice Mollard
This Roman ruin known as The Temple of Diana, is inside the Town Hall. The interior can only be visited as part of the guided tour 'Balade dans Aix', along with the archaeological collection it houses.

Show on map

Fontaine de la rue Montorge

Grenoble > rue Montorge
This set of fountains was built to fill in three stone vaults created by Jean Alluys, architect and mason, in 1676. At the time, they supported the terrace of the Jardin de Ville park and occasionally sheltered produce merchants. This fountain was the first to pump water from the Chartreuse mountains to Grenoble’s left bank, via pipes that run from the Saint Jean source and under the Isere river.

Show on map

Jardin de l'écomusée des monts du Forez

Usson-en-Forez > Quartier St Joseph
A faithful reconstruction invitin to the discovery of virtues and symbolism of plants kinds (flowers, vegetables, curatives herbs...)

Show on map

Mémorial National des Justes - "La Clairière des Justes"

Thonon-les-Bains > Arboretum de Ripaille Ch. de la Forêt
The Mémorial National des Justes was given to the town of Thonon-les-Bains by the Consistoire Central de France and the French Association of Homage to the Righteous Among the Nations. The monument pays homage to those who saved human lives during the genocide. The Ripaille estate’s 130 hectares were chosen for the monument as the estate is an important historical centre for the Haute-Savoie and a symbol of resistance, spirituality and solidarity. On the banks of Lake Geneva near Thonon-les-Bains, the old 50 hectare oak forest, Château de Ripaille and its buildings, the 17 hectare arboretum, fields and meadows protected by an outer wall with overhanging greenery all bear witness to the location’s glorious history and the people that put their heart and soul into it. On the edge of the ancient oak field and the 19th century arboretum lies the Clairière des Justes (glade of the righteous), where 70 trees from the five continents have been planted representing the 70 nations mentioned in the Bible as a message of hope, tolerance and the importance of populations sharing their cultures and future generations following suit. The symbolic Mémorial National des Justes stands in the centre of the glade. The Mémorial National des Justes is the work of the sculptor Nicholas Moscovitz. The copper and brass monument symbolises many things: - Three silhouettes representing the Righteous - Characters symbolising the generations that have been able to continue thanks to the actions of the Righteous - The heart filled with emotion, love, courage and generosity that characterises the Righteous - The sphere surrounded by a ring symbolising the world and people from all over the world coming together. On Sunday November 2nd 1997, over two thousand people from all over France and abroad came to Thonon-les-Bains to share in the emotion of the memorial and the Clairière des Justes and see them inaugurated under the patronage of the French president, Jacques Chirac, with the Minister for Culture and Communication, Catherine Trautmann, presidents of the Consistoire de France and the French Association of Homage to the Righteous Among the Nations and the Great Rabbi of France to name but a few. After the speeches had been made, young Jews and the Righteous came around the monument to plant the last of the 70 trees together in the Clairière des Justes.

Show on map

Hôtel de ville - "villa Lumière"

Évian-les-Bains > Rue de la Source de Clermont
The Salon Doré, where civil marriages are now held, has managed to retain most of its original decor (marquetry flooring of precious woods, gilded consoles, an onyx fireplace and painted silk screens). All of the villa's Rococo-furnished rooms were adorned with decorative woodwork or natural-silk hangings from Lyon. On weekdays, the entrance hall and the Salon Doré are open to the public, during regular office hours.

Show on map

La Fontaine des Jacobins

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > Place des Jacobins
The fountain was created in December 1885 by Gaspard André (1840-1896), to whom we also owe the Théâtre des Célestins. It is made from white marble and shows Philibert Delorme or de l’Orme, Guillaume Coustou, Gérard Adrab and Hippolyte Flandrin.

Show on map

Cathédrale Notre Dame de Grenoble

Grenoble > Place Notre-Dame
Roman bell tower, flamboyant Gothic ciboire from the 15th century to the right of the choir, wooden bas reliefs from the 17th century depicting scenes from the life of Jesus. The Notre Dame cathedral is located in the historic center of Grenoble, which developed around the cathedral throughout the ages. By becoming an official city in the 3rd century, Grenoble also became the center of a diocese. Built in a bend in the city ramparts, the "bishop's city" was organized around a baptistry, a double cathedral (Notre Dame and Saint Hugues), and the residence of the bishops. The history of this episcopal city was revealed to us recently after 10 years of research: The Bishop's Palace became the Museum of the Old Bishop's Palace, with the remains from the Gallo Roman period underground: the rampart from the 3rd century, the postern that allows us to enter the ruins of Cularo (the Gallo Roman name of Grenoble) and finally the baptistery and its annex rooms. The baptismal font reminds us of the primitive liturgy of the baptism. The 13th century cathedral is built against the St Hugues church (11th century).

Show on map

CATHEDRAL OF OUR LADY OF THE ANGELS

Los Angeles > 555 West Temple Street
Every Diocese and Archdiocese must have a "Mother Church," a Cathedral Church, which is the official seat of the Bishop or Archbishop. The very word "Cathedral" comes from the Latin word, "cathedra," which means "chair." The Bishop's Chair is a symbol of his teaching office and pastoral authority in the Diocese, and a sign also of the unity of believers in the faith that the Bishop or Archbishop proclaims as shepherd of the Lord's flock.

Show on map

Basilique de Fourvière

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > place de Fourvière
The name 'Fourvière' is said to be derived from the Latin words 'Forum Vetus' (old forum), as Fourvière Hill was chosen by the Romans to found the town of Lyon in 43 BC. Construction work for the cathedral began in 1872 and it was inaugurated in 1896. However, the interior decoration works were not finished until after the Second World War. As local architect Pierre Bossan (1814-1888) passed away before the end of the construction works, his disciple, Louis Sainte-Marie-Perrin (1835-1917) supervised the end of the works. This mysterious building is devoted to the Virgin Mary and the interior is richly decorated, in particular a series of mosaics that retrace her history in France and Christianity. The style of the crypt, which is devoted to Saint Joseph, is more sober than the church above. It is home to a statue of "Saint Joseph and Child" by sculptor Joseph-Hugues Fabisch and stained-glass windows by Lucien Bégule that feature symbols of the Holy Communion. The basilica measures 86 metres in length and 35 metres in width. At the summit of its towers, it measures 48 metres in height. Its organ was built in 1896 by Michel Merklin and was restored in 1996. A 3.05-metre bronze statue sculpted by Elisabeth Cibot represents Jean-Paul II blessing the town of Lyon during his visit in October of 1986. It was erected on the square in front of the basilica on the 4th of October, 2011.

Show on map

Prieuré et son jardin à la française

Le Bourget-du-Lac > route de Chambéry
This 11th C priory, belonging to a Clunisien order, consists of a gothic church, a Roman crypt, convent buildings and gardens that have been developed around a long avenue which leads to staggered terraces.

Show on map

Cimetière de Loyasse

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 46 rue du Cardinal Gerlier
Created in 1812, the first modern cemetery in Lyon covers 12 ha and has 30,000 graves and 200 chapels and monuments. It includes the funeral monuments of a number of famous locals: Edouard Herriot, Puvis de Chavanne, Pierre Bossan, Pauline Jaricot, etc.

Show on map

Basilique Saint François de Sales

Thonon-les-Bains > Grande rue
The construction of an impressive neo-Gothic cathedral with two bell towers was planned to replace the soon-to-be demolished Saint Hippolyte church and presbytery in 1885. The first stone was laid in 1889 but financial concerns led to the project being postponed and the presbytery alone being demolished. Building work on the new church was stopped and the unfinished building was rented out and used as a depot and workshop for the town’s traders and craftsmen. During World War I it was used for army supply services. Some of Thonon’s population protested against the destruction of the former church and this led to it being listed as a national heritage site in 1909. The Thonon priest J. Chaumont pushed for building work to restart and his wish was granted in 1921. The new church only had one bell tower and was attached to the former church. The new basilica was consecrated by the bishop of Annecy, Monsignor de la Villerabelle, in 1930. The interior dates back to the 40s and houses two scenes from the Passion and the Way of the Cross by Maurice Denis, head of the Nabis, a movement heavily influenced by Gauguin and the Pont Aven School.

Show on map

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY OF CHARITY

Faversham > church road
Faversham is a town with a long and colourful history.Its Christian origins go back over 1000 years and much of this is reflected in the parish church of st Mary of Charity. Here one can see the elegant crown spire and georgian nave, along with a medieval painted column in the north transept which dates from c. 1306 is one of the few survive in Britain today. In the chancel there are 16 medieval stalls with finely carved misericords. Legend has it that when Faversham Abbey was destroyed the remains of king Stephen were transferred to the Trinity Chapel.

Show on map

Fresque A la Rencontre des Lyonnais Célèbres

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > angle 49 quai St Vincent et 2 rue de la Martinière
It represents: * The part adjoining St Vincent’s Quay (200m2): - Level 3 : the Emperor Claude. - Level 2: Pierre Puvis de Chavanne & Giovanni Verrazano. - Level 1: Joseph-Marie Jacquard & Philippe de Lassalle. - Level 0 : Bertrand Tavernier * The part adjoining Rue Martinière (600m2): - Level 4 : St-Irénée, Ste-Blandine. - Level 3 : Louise Labé, Maurice Scève, Juliette Récamier, Claude Bourgelat, Pauline Jaricot & Claudine Thévenet. - Level 2 : Général-Major Martin & Jean-Baptiste Say, André-Marie Ampère, Laurent Mourguet & Guignol, le Petit Prince et Antoine de St-Exupéry, - Level 1 : Antoine de Jussieu & Marcel Mérieux & Claude Bernard, Edouard Herriot & Tony Garnier, Auguste and Louis Lumière. - Level 0 : Bernard Pivot, l'abbé Pierre, Bernard Lacombe, Paul Bocuse, Frédéric Dard.

Show on map

Eglise Notre Dame Saint Louis de la Guillotière

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 1 rue de la Madeleine
19th-c. church, stained-glass windows devoted to the life of Saint Louis and the Virgin Mary. It has an organ from 1946 made from 2000 wooden tubes and glued animal skins. It is part of the Rive Gauche deanery.

Show on map

Ville de Pierrelatte

Visit of the old town : chapel of Penitent, church, museum, gargoyles...

Show on map

Théâtres Romains de Fourvière

Lyon-Saint-Exupéry aéroport > 6 rue de l'Antiquaille
This site was listed as an "Historical Monument" in 1905. The Great Theatre, the oldest in France, built by Augustus in 15 BC and divided into 3 sections: the "cavea" (a vast shell with 25 stands leading to the pit) built on a gallery. In bad weather, a "velum" (awning) was stretched over the "cavea", tied to the backstage wall. The "cavea" had several "vomitorias" (doors leading to the stands). The "balteus" was the wall separating the Plebs from the Patricians. Finally the semi-circular pit was the most ornate part with multi-coloured geometric patterns. This was where the choir, dancers and actors performed. It is 27 m in diameter. In the theatre's stands, blocks of white limestone give us an idea of what the monument originally looked like. The stage supported by a wall, the "pulpitum", has been fitted with floorboards to allow use of the theatre today. It is decorated with a few columns and the statue of a woman. Each column was there to commemorate an emperor, with his ashes stored in the base. The theatre was dedicated to tragedies and comedies. It could hold 4,700 people. It was extended under Hadrian's rule to 10,700 seats in 120 AD. The Odeon, the smaller theatre (3,000 seats) was for political or philosophical orators, music, poets and an intellectual elite. Odeons had a small seating capacity. The one in Lugdunum could only seat 2,500 people. It was built under Antoninus, Hadrian's successor in the mid-second century AD. The Odeon stood to the west against a 6 m thick wall, supporting the roof of the "cavea", 73 m in diameter, consisting of stands leading to a pit paved with geometric designs: diamonds, squares, rectangles, circles highlighted by strips. White, pink or beige marbles, blue or grey granite, green or red porphyry were brought from Italy, Greece or Egypt. Every summer, the Fourviere Nights Festival takes place in the antic theatres.
Hôtels non classé